Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is the site down?
If we move over to a private tracker site we shall need to use their tracker. Private sites do not use DHT.

For a public tracker you uncheck the private torrent box when creating a new one on uTorrent. This enables DHT. Presumably other clients have the same feature.

The single point of failure I referred to above was one person running the site with no-one able to take over from him - the same thing that happened to the first RA and to d***d.
(03-08-2019, 08:03 AM)gary9411 Wrote: If we move over to a private tracker site we shall need to use their tracker. Private sites do not use DHT.

For a public tracker you uncheck the private torrent box when creating a new one on uTorrent. This enables DHT. Presumably other clients have the same feature.

The single point of failure I referred to above was one person running the site with no-one able to take over from him - the same thing that happened to the first RA and to d***d.

Ideally we could create something that has no human *or* technical single points of failure. Are we worried about it being private? It doesn't seem like this kind of content would attract much abuse.
(03-10-2019, 06:20 AM)delphinium Wrote: Ideally we could create something that has no human *or* technical single points of failure. Are we worried about it being private? It doesn't seem like this kind of content would attract much abuse.

Private tracker sites have members, and so abuse can be dealt with.
I have around  three thousand files and with a crash course in torrenting will happily share or contribute if I can.
(03-10-2019, 09:51 AM)joeD Wrote: I have around  three thousand files and with a crash course in torrenting will happily share or contribute if I can.

There isn't a tutorial section on the forum. But here are my notes. Constructive feedback welcomed. Happy to re-post if somewhere can be created to store it.

It's pretty straightforward with uTorrent, which is the only one I know. But you might need to try a few times before you get it quite right. I upload only to private torrent sites, but I guess it’s the same for public torrents.

1) Install uTorrent version 183 or higher if you’re using a lower version. But make sure you’re using a version that’s allowed by the site.
2) Go to the site’s forum and look for a section called “can I upload this”. Describe your torrent and wait for a moderator to say you can upload.
3) Gather all the files together and make sure the folder structure is correct.
4) Write a torrent description, using Word for example.
5) Make a note of the file specifications. Gspot.exe is recommended by some sites.
6) Get a note of the IMDB address if it has one.
7) Create an image to go with the torrent, or copy someone else’s if it’s the same subject.
8) Go to uTorrent. Click on file from the menu bar at the top of the screen and then on create new torrent from the drop down.
9) Make sure that the “start seeding” and “preserve file order boxes” are checked.
10) The “private torrent” box must be checked for a private torrent site and unchecked for a public torrent site.
11) For a private tracker paste your passkey into the trackers box.
12) Select the piece size. What size you choose will depend on the torrent size. I aim for a value that creates fewer than 1,000 pieces, unless it’s a large dataset when I choose 4mb and I have to have a larger number.
13) Blank the Select Source box.
14) Click on add file for a single file, or on add directory for a torrent with more than one file.
15) Navigate to the file or to the folder and click on “Open”.
16) Click on “Create and Save as”.
17) Then wait. You will see a progress bar at the bottom of the dialogue box.
18) When it finishes click on Save, or else navigate to the folder where you want the torrent to be saved and then click on Save.
19) Click on “Close”.
20) Upload the torrent to the site. Normally it's torrent – upload or something similar from the site menu. You will find that they ask you to navigate to the folder where you stored the torrent file and the image, and enter the torrent description, the file specifications and the IMDB address. Maybe also a link to the forum where the moderator gave permission to upload.
21) Once the torrent is on the site download it.
22) Load it into uTorrent and point it to the appropriate folder.
23) Do a force recheck.
24) Start seeding. Some sites require you to use force seed. The downloaders may jump on it in a matter of seconds or you may have to wait – it depends on the site.
25) Read the comments and PMs and be prepared to act on them. You may be flamed, and then you will know to take from the site and not contribute to it other than the required amount of seeding. But most of the comments will be constructive.
(03-10-2019, 09:24 AM)gary9411 Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 06:20 AM)delphinium Wrote: Ideally we could create something that has no human *or* technical single points of failure. Are we worried about it being private? It doesn't seem like this kind of content would attract much abuse.

Private tracker sites have members, and so abuse can be dealt with.

I took a look. Seems pretty established and has some radio content. Maybe it's the way to go to keep this stuff available!

@joeD and anyone else who want to contribute what they have of RA: I can set up an anonymous upload spot to dump everything on and wrangle the migration to rareshare.me for everyone at once if you like. PM me for a link.
(03-11-2019, 07:56 PM)delphinium Wrote: I took a look. Seems pretty established and has some radio content. Maybe it's the way to go to keep this stuff available!

@joeD and anyone else who want to contribute what they have of RA: I can set up an anonymous upload spot to dump everything on and wrangle the migration to rareshare.me for everyone at once if you like. PM me for a link.

A few queries:

It would a large and sudden influx to the site, of content and possibly of members. Do we have their approval?

Would there be a way of distinguishing RA content? A new category would be ideal, or failing that something in the first line of the torrent description.

Would duplicates be checked in good time? Some would be easily spotted, but there are others. I mentioned my own torrent (Space Patrol Radio, copied to RA, where the RA version is not an exact copy). 

You're welcome to have my content, but I don't want to find that we've barged in.
(03-12-2019, 06:27 AM)gary9411 Wrote: A few queries:

It would a large and sudden influx to the site, of content and possibly of members. Do we have their approval?

Would there be a way of distinguishing RA content? A new category would be ideal, or failing that something in the first line of the torrent description.

Would duplicates be checked in good time? Some would be easily spotted, but there are others. I mentioned my own torrent (Space Patrol Radio, copied to RA, where the RA version is not an exact copy). 

You're welcome to have my content, but I don't want to find that we've barged in.

Yes my thought was to compile all the content and approach their admins. I can write some scripts to dedupe among our various subsets of the content and massage the files into a form compatible with their guidelines. I can also represent our interests, including asking for a category.

Deduping across the sites will be a trickier process, as you say. I guess we start by just comparing a list of the RA stuff to a list of RS stuff for similarity of individual items.

Ok, I PMed you an upload location in case you're moved to dump stuff there. =)
I'm already a member of RS (very recently - last few weeks)

I have 136 RA torrents. Let me know if I can help out in some way if RS is agreeable.
Never mind my previous post about rareshare. I tried them with high hopes, but they are a total bust. Only a few downloads of the RA torrents I uploaded and it was all grab and go. No one appears to actually seed anything. Every single torrent I tried to download (all showed there were supposedly seeders) never went anywhere, I couldn't download a single thing. Not even after uploading and sharing a ton of stuff. I think rareshare is basically one step away from being a dead site. No one posts to their forums, most torrents are dead, very few users bother to seed what they download, and there are almost no new torrents. I'll go back to using other sites. Heartbreaking as it looked so promising in the beginning.

If someone comes across a good site, please post and let us know. I have lots of stuff to share, just need a good place to share it.