Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hit and Run - not good
On another site they make a real issue of 'hit and run.' It seems that there is problem here too. I have downloaded many torrent files - most newly uploaded - and they sit at 0% waiting for seeders. Yet the stats show that the files have been downloaded a few times. Whether this is an issue with seedboxes I don't know - I don't use one.

A case in point is Cheop's upload of "From Edison to iTunes - A History of the Record Label - BBC Radio - 320K MP3 - cheops"

When I downloaded the torrent file there were 4 seeders. As soon as I opened this into qBittorrent the number dropped to 1 seeder. And when I looked this seeder only had 0% of the file.

My download is also sitting at 0% too.
I watched this after you posted your comment on the torrent page.

I was seeding from both my seedbox and a machine at another location all the time.

I'm not sure why this occurred but it was not down to H&R.

c
(10-26-2017, 03:42 AM)cheops Wrote: I watched this after you posted your comment on the torrent page.

I was seeding from both my seedbox and a machine at another location all the time.

c

Hello C,

I have been downloading torrents from radioarchive and at the same time, have been seeding everything I downloaded. I must say, how cn I check if my seeding is going OK? 
I use bittorrent to down - and upload, I can see if it's downloading or seeding but that does not mean it is working OK, is it?
Today, I am downloading the latest torrents that I like and I will let it seed for the next couple of days, as per usual. The thing is, can you see if I am seeding? 
I would certainly want to help out here as I can have all these great programs on file to listen to.

Please let me know.

Thanks again.

Lut
if you open the page for the torrent and scroll down to the bottom to look at the peers list you should find yourself in it. You can identify your own client simply by pausing seeding of the torrent and refreshing the page - your client will disappear from the list until you start the torrent again.

Please be aware that the server purges the seed/peer numbers in the torrent table every few minutes so that the numbers are refreshed to reflect the current state. If the seed numbers come back as zeros when you browse the table just wait a couple of minutes and refresh the page.

hth

c
ps. if you are considering doing a lot of downloading and seeding (which I hope everyone will!) you might consider renting a seedbox.

see:

https://www.rapidseedbox.com/#pricing

For audio seeding a very cheap one will suffice as the files are not huge like video files.

There are many other cheaper providers...
(10-31-2017, 10:40 AM)cheops Wrote: ps. if you are considering doing a lot of downloading and seeding (which I hope everyone will!) you might consider renting a seedbox.

see:

https://www.rapidseedbox.com/#pricing

For audio seeding a very cheap one will suffice as the files are not huge like video files.

There are many other cheaper providers...

There are many cheaper providers especially if you rent a bare bones VPS & do your Linux admin from the command line. I picked up a low powered VPS for $19/year from NFP Hosting when they had a special offer. The cheapest offering they have at present is $30.50/year. https://www.nfphosting.com/budget-vps#theplanslider

If you want a bit more hand holding then Bytesized Hosting have some nice systems that don't require much Linux knowledge & allow you to install & manage applications from a web interface. I have an AppBox +Unmetered with 500GB disk unlimited bandwidth & a 1GB network connection for just €14.40/month I use this system for running Plex Media Server for all my TV & Films too. https://bytesized-hosting.com/plans

Finally if you require lots of disk space (perhaps you collect video media as well as spoken word?) then sign up for G Suite for Business that gives unlimited storage on Google Drive for £6.99/month (the alleged 1TB limit less than 5 users is not & never has been enforced). The Google Drive can then be mounted on your seedbed using rclone to give you unlimited storage on your seedbox. https://gsuite.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/p...-companies
I've noticed a lot of 'Hit & Run' on my Polyoaks torrent. At one point I had uploaded around 920MB (of 660MB) but there were no other seeders. As peers completed their downloads they did not all appear as seeders. I'm now on 1.16GB uploaded and there's only one other seeder.

I've also noticed the torrents are visible and can be downloaded from the home page when I'm not logged in. Does this mean non-members can access the torrents? I think that would be very insecure given the issues the site has had in the past. I'm really not comfortable that my torrents can be accessed by non-members.
@CMOTDibbler,

Thank you for bringing the non-member download issue to our attention. I have passed this onto Cheops to review & resolve.

I further agree that hit & run is becoming a major issue which threatens RA rebirth.
(10-31-2017, 10:21 AM)lut.depotter@yahoo.com Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 03:42 AM)cheops Wrote: I watched this after you posted your comment on the torrent page.

c

Hello C,

I have been downloading torrents from radioarchive and at the same time, have been seeding everything I downloaded. I must say, how cn I check if my seeding is going OK? 
I use bittorrent to down - and upload, I can see if it's downloading or seeding but that does not mean it is working OK, is it?
Today, I am downloading the latest torrents that I like and I will let it seed for the next couple of days, as per usual. The thing is, can you see if I am seeding? 
I would certainly want to help out here as I can have all these great programs on file to listen to.

Please let me know.

Thanks again.

Lut

(10-31-2017, 10:34 AM)cheops Wrote: if you open the page for the torrent and scroll down to the bottom to look at the peers list you should find yourself in it. You can identify your own client simply by pausing seeding of the torrent and refreshing the page - your client will disappear from the list until you start the torrent again.

Please be aware that the server purges the seed/peer numbers in the torrent table every few minutes so that the numbers are refreshed to reflect the current state. If the seed numbers come back as zeros when you browse the table just wait a couple of minutes and refresh the page.

hth

c

This is not always accurate though, I try and seed for at least two weeks or between twice and four times what I download (as a minimum) I am currently seeding the two Hitchhikers series and the Jam documentary.

The Jam says 288mb uploaded
Hitchhikers 2  999mb uploaded, bot as utorrent also tells me, but utorrent says I have uploaded 1.03gb to 
Hitchhikers 1 but I don't appear at bottom of torrent page at all.

I have noticed that repeatedly on certain torrents.

I am not looking for credit, it's the minimum anyone should do BUT maybe like me, some folk think they are seeding when possibly they aren't or at least it's not showing.