Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original Broadcast of Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Primary and Secondary
Hello, I'm looking for recordings of the original broadcast of the first two series of Hitchhiker's Guide. These versions are different to the commercially available recordings, and I've yet to find a copy. Thanks in advance!
I've got some old recordings but I don't know if they are the commercial ones. How can I tell the difference?
(06-22-2018, 04:30 AM)coloclo Wrote: Hello, I'm looking for recordings of the original broadcast of the first two series of Hitchhiker's Guide.  These versions are different to the commercially available recordings, and I've yet to find a copy.  Thanks in advance!

I know that I downloaded the first series that the uploader claimed to be the original broadcast versions. They're from several years ago so I'll have to find out where they are, but as he above poster says, how can I be sure? I'm sure I only snatched them for historical purposes and didn't listen to them Smile
I actually recorded the original series direct onto cassette tape and listened to it a great deal; but I haven't used tapes for years. My digital recording were sourced from a well-known sournce on the net so may well be the commercial versions to which you refer.
(06-26-2018, 09:40 PM)theprisoner Wrote: I've got some old recordings but I don't know if they are the commercial ones. How can I tell the difference?

Thanks for posting!

So one way to tell is by the length of episode three ("Fit The Third"). In the commercial versions it is a minute or two shorter than the other episodes. If you can remember them well or are willing to give a listen, there are points in episode three where Marvin the android hums "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd, then a Beatles tune, then the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. If it has these scenes it is the original recording. Also, for technical reasons, the original recordings are slightly shorter than the later commercial releases even when they contain all of the original material. Apparently this is due to the playback speed on the original equipment the masters were broadcast from.

Here's hoping you have the originals!
I have some good news for you. I listened to e03 and there was Marvin humming Pink Floyd complete with the background music. I'll put the torrent up very soon
Big Grin 
(06-28-2018, 08:31 AM)theprisoner Wrote: I have some good news for you. I listened to e03 and there was Marvin humming Pink Floyd complete with the background music. I'll put the torrent up very soon

Woohoo! Thanks theprisoner!
Hi, theprisoner! Is there chance you'll be able to upload soon?
You can find the original radio broadcasts in the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/hhgttgall6
(07-17-2018, 06:36 AM)coloclo Wrote: Hi, theprisoner!  Is there chance you'll be able to upload soon?

I did, some time ago. Search for them. Several others have downloaded and are seeding